intro image

intro image

Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Day Off in Newport


He sat at the table next to mine, giving a southern “Good morning, mam.”

Greetings properly exchanged, I asked him, “Do you live in Newport?” 

It wasn’t long before I learned that he walks with a cane “only because of Viet Nam.”

“What do you do here?”

“Not much since my wife died last July.  Married when I was seventeen.”

“What did you used to do?”

“Drove big rigs all over the country. Rode motorcycle for fun.  Always came home to Sarah.”

James Dean, age eighty-four, has seen Pasadena and Ventura in California and just about anyplace else I mentioned.  He remembers them all.  Remembers all the presidents, who they ran against, and some of the women they slept with. 

“I guess a truck driver sees a lot of women,” I chanced with a smile.

“Yes, but none of them compare to my Sarah; she was above all of them, the only woman I ever slept with.”

James is one of fifteen children, and his parents also stayed together their all their lives.  He and Sarah had eight children.  One of them, retired, called his cell at BoJangles Hamburgers.  I listened to half of small talk and words of encouragement.

How different and how right his life seems compared to most of the lives I know.  So desirable.  What is different about this James Dean of the swamps of North Carolina?

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, but he thinks deeply and still keeps it simple. A good man.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's really his name, or he's more of a card than I imagined. Sweet, yes.

      Delete
  3. As always, you bring us food for thought, Sharon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following from half way around the world, Mandy. If you turn around, we might meet someday.

      Delete
  4. thanks for the character story
    enjoyed the glimpse of another side of James Dean
    had Harry Chapin met him, there would be a song
    since 'you' did the meeting ... a 'poem'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, that's his name. He told me. Could he have been kidding?

      Delete
    2. It matters not whether he kids with you ... either way he is pleased to carry that name and pleased to please you with it

      Delete