intro image

intro image

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Looking Back






Currituck is a small Southern town on the mainland, from which the last ferry would carry me for a short cycle back to Virginia beach.  From here I could see the bay side of the northern part of the Outer Banks and remember the struggle.










You know it’s the South from the flags and the honoring of confederate dead, seen so often in public places and also on flagpoles at homes.

In the background is the Currituck Jail 










Currituck Jail was built in 1767, but it may have been reconstructed in 1820, so scant are the records, and so much revived interest in the Colonial Period.









Soon I'll be flying over the Outer banks
like I've seen birds doing all along











2 comments:

  1. it is good, to leave a jail behind… :) even a small jail like the Currituk one. It is fortunate, to be flying like a bird… convicted must have been wishing that quite a few times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather be a bird than an woman in jail, Toti. I relate to birds, but sometimes feel in jail.

      Delete