intro image

intro image

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Road to Buxton

The hardest thing of the day blew at me from the southeast—unrelenting and strong for the entire fifty-six miles.  I landed in Buxton yesterday evening tired, slept well, and write this the next day inside with a storm brewing outside.


For most of yesterday’s trip, I rode through desolate country with miles of unpeopled beach.  Maybe they couldn't find it, hiding as it was behind dunes on my left.  I considered riding on the beach to avoid traffic on the highway, but even at low tide the sand was soft.  I remember deserted beaches like this in California, long ago. 











Sand has been scooped from this road for many years and piled against the natural dunes, an operation akin to removing snow.












Ripples on the dunes speak of flowing water in a streambed.  But flowing wind did this, and it separates the grains by weight, like panning for gold.











Sand dunes form on the beach when something stops the flow of sand which rides the unrelenting wind.  These hummocks are the holdings of plants, tough plants with firm roots.  They are winning against the wind. 














Peeking around a populated hummock at the deserted beach.











The bay side of the island is completely different.  Here shallow marshland is home to birds and fishermen.  













A Canadian goose stops to rest and eat on the bay side, a respite in a long journey.  I just might be understanding how she feels.












Sunset in Buxton, my home for two days.  I will inspect the lighthouse and greet the alligators or whoever might accept my company in Buxton Woods tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! how beautiful it is, looks like you are having a great time wish I was there with you.
    Counter Buddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey counterbuddy, good to see you. Fly on out here, there's plenty of wind beneath your wings.

      Delete
  2. Following my lingering day of library story time and nighty night bedtime stories, I nestle in for the night glad to have ventured less than two miles from home, and glad to come home and settle in with your account of your 'more than two miles from home' day. The metaphor I love in this day's report is: "Ripples on the dunes speak of flowing water in a streambed. But flowing wind did this, and it separates the grains by weight, like panning for gold."

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little after thought ~ next time you find yourself on a lone beach or in a place where the camera catches such a stillness, t'would be a nice thought to coax your trusty bike to pose for an artful shot ... alone on the beach with just a shadow for company. This is where my thoughts traveled, so I thought would share my thoughts ... just thought I would ... that's what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to provide some of your bedtime reading, Junnie. Hope to see you on my return. And I will try to get some shots of the bike and maybe even me too.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to 'seeing you' in pics and in person! Adventure ON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on the mainland now, in Newport, NC. wifi is weak, may not be able to post here for a while.

    ReplyDelete